If you are following the Adrenal Reset Diet, make sure you have pulled out eggs for the first 30 days to see if you have an allergy (like I do) or if you have a sensitivity to them. If you are all clear, then these carrot frittatas are an amazing way to use the carrot pulp from your juicer. When you use the egg whites only, you are getting all protein and no fat (versus getting fat when you include the egg yolk). So this is a low-fat, filling, delicious snack – even your kids will love it! Best when served warm, but they taste great cold too for lunch the next day.
Makes 12-15 frittatas (depending on how big you make them)
- Pulp from 10 medium-large carrots (or you can shred 10 carrots with a shredder or grater, then air dry for 15 minutes to help remove moisture)
- 6 egg whites
- finely chopped leek (wash throughly & use only the white part)
- 1/2 onion finely chopped (I like sweet onions)
- 2 garlic cloves
- salt and pepper to taste
- optional – fresh ginger
- Cook onions and leeks in a pan on medium high heat with a teaspoon of oil until the onions “sweat” (become clear) – about 3-5 minutes. Stir constantly so they don’t burn.
- Add garlic and cook for another 2 minutes.
- Let cool for 3-5 minutes.
- Mix all the ingredients together in a mixing bowl.
- Form into a small ball, then flatten into a patty.
- Lightly spray cooking oil on a frying pan and cook for 3-5 minutes (Medium heat) each side – or until it reaches the desired done-ness.
- Enjoy while hot!