My Dress: Claire’s – (It’s the same dress I won Mrs. Arizona in 2012) | My Daughter’s Dress: Zuhair Murad – (one of my dresses I discovered in a thrift store for 85% off the cost of purchasing new)| Hubby’s Outfit: Imago Style
Hair/ Makeup: Michael Franco & Pearl | Tan: Spray Tan Queen, Wendy Carlson
Linens, plates, silverware, glasses, tables, chairs: Classic Party Rentals | Gold charger plates (Great prices and the friendliest owners!): Always Elegant | Napkin Rings: Totally Dazzled | Flowers: fiftyflowers.com
One day we were all driving somewhere kind of far and we made the kids turn off their phones and music so we could all just talk….you know, like in the “old days.” 😉
Anyway, the subject turned to wondering what we should do for our 20th anniversary. Should we take a family vacation? Should we renew our vows in Sedona, AZ where we were married (because we did that for our 10th anniversary)? Should we ditch the kids and go to an exotic island somewhere, just hubby and I?
That’s when our daughter came up with the idea of hosting a 20’s themed “Roaring 20’s” Gatsby party to celebrate our 20th anniversary. Genius! So we decided to put a modern twist on it.
I’ve never thrown a party like this before. One time we had Santa come to our house and we happened to have 25 of our friends (and all of their kids…so 65 people total) over. But they were mostly kids and were pretty easy-going with the details, you know? We still had outlet plug protectors and “kid friendly” furniture. (I admire all the brave parents out there with young children and real grown-up furniture because that wasn’t us!) A 20’s themed sit-down dinner for grown-ups (and our kids) is a different thing all together because I’ve never had to rent tables, linens, silverware…etc before.
Thankfully, it was a beautiful evening and perfectly us! We had our families, friends, and healthy food that worked for whatever diet you are on. Here are some of my favorite details from the evening:
- Sequin tablecloths and white and gold accessories (even the silverware was gold-toned!) thanks to Classic Party Rentals
- Adrenal Reset Diet foods – served buffet style so even vegans and paleo lovers had plenty of choices. EVERYTHING was gluten-free, dairy-free, non-GMO, and refined sugar-free (even the to-die-for desserts: RAW key lime pies from Kaleidescope.) *We don’t have any photos of the pies because even though I ordered extras…. almost all the guests asked if they could take one home after eating theirs. They were put on the dessert table and were gone in a few minutes. Because, YES, they are that good.
- Fruits and herbs (like fresh mint) for the champagne bar AND water bar (because everyone deserves something pretty to drink…even if you don’t drink. For example this was my 2nd glass of alcohol in about a year)
- The prettiest (and affordable) gold chargers from the friendly folks at Always Elegant and the most sparkly (and affordable) napkin rings from the beauties at Totally Dazzled
- Hundreds of fresh flowers (at wholesale prices at fiftyflowers.com) I had 200 delivered 3 days before the event so I could arrange them and they had time to open for the party. They were perfect!
- My daughter standing on a chair and making a speech (“You all know my parents….well, I’ve know them since I was really little…” LOL!) Her beautiful speech made me cry! xoxo
- Seeing our favorite people all dressed up!
Hope you enjoy sharing in our day because we had a wonderful time putting it together. (Except for those few stressful moments. Even hubby told the kids to be extra nice to mama because she’s really stressed out!) 😉 Worth every moment of planning and preparation!